User interface won't load

Discovered a bug? Post about it here!
Valendra

User interface won't load

Post by Valendra »

Hi Matt,

I've been using GSM for a long time but I'm having a rather wonky issue with the latest version. I'm positive this is something to do with my desktop, but I can't quite figure out what and I'd appreciate any help or suggestions you might have. Simply put, at some point 3.1.455.0 was loaded and working fine, then one day the UI simply stopped loading. The process is visible in task manager, it's not crashing out or anything. I can only say that no UI ever appears anywhere, no matter how long I leave it for. All I can think is it's possible there's some conflicting software or patch (Windows update? SPECTRE/Meltdown patches broke a lot of unexpected things). I'm on 64bit Windows 10 running the executable as administrator. To be sure it wasn't something to do with my local install I downloaded the zip again, unzipped it to an entirely new directory (on an entirely separate hdd, too) and ran that as admin and had the exact same behavior with a fresh copy. I simply can't get it to load anymore and I'm really not sure what else to check. Can I give you some debug logs? I work in IT & I'm happy to provide whatever level of debugging you might need. I want to use GSM again! :)

Thanks much for all of your hard work,
Valendra
InsaneMatt
Site Admin

Re: User interface won't load

Post by InsaneMatt »

The "scanning" dialog that GameSave Manager displays at startup doesn't have a Taskbar entity associated with it.
Minimise all other programs and launch gs_mngr_3.exe. Do you now see the UI?
Valendra

Post by Valendra »

I'm afraid it's not so simple as another window covering it. I am very positive that is not the problem.
Valendra

Post by Valendra »

I eventually figured it out! I noted that GSM seemed to work fine in safe mode, so I began to suspect a conflicting piece of software. I restarted in normal mode, tried it, didn't work. Went down to system tray and just repeatedly right-clicked & hit 'exit' on every icon I had down there while trying GSM each time and found my culprit: Sonic Suite II. It's a bit of ASUS software for audio. I have absolutely no explanation for why this is true, but it's 100% consistent. I start Sonic Suite II, GSM UI won't load. I exit SS2, GSM works fine. Weird!
bonnet

Post by bonnet »

j'ai voulu le t?l?charger ne la pas accept? avec mon Windows 8??? :oops: alors qu'avec mon Windows 10 sur un autre pc il me la mis!!! : :D
merci de votre r?ponse :)
super le traducteur cela dit en passant :D