17th August 2017
Latest Stable Version: v3.1 (Build 449)
GameSave Manager banner Click to Donate

It is currently Thu 17th Aug 2017, 12:31 AM

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 84 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9  Next
PostPosted: Thu 07th Aug 2014, 7:21 PM 
GSM Developer

GameSave Manager 4.0 - wait, what?!?!

The observant amongst you have likely noticed that database updates aren't quite as frequent as they used to be and that program updates (updates to fix bugs / implement new options) are all but extinct too.
So what's going on? In short, quite abit.
Well, I've given up on LUA (the language GameSave Manager is currently coded in) and am in the process of learning C#. At the same time, I'm also working on a GameSave Manager 4.0 prototype.
While I'm doing all that, Gekz is working on UI concepts (inbetween Dungeon Defenders Eterinty sessions - he's addicted!).
As you can see from this Tweet from almost 2 weeks ago, the scanning is MUCH faster than the current version.
Not much (on the UI side of things) has happened since that video was made, but here's some screenshots of the most recent prototype in action:

Scanning System
Creating a new Language Pack
Editing Language Pack

As you can see, my main focus at present is the translation side of things (which is coming along nicely).
I have no idea when an Alpha / Concept release will be ready, but I'm hopeful that it'll be before Christmas - just don't quote me on that!
So what'cha all think?

-----

First v4.0 public Prototype

As previously discussed, we've been busy working on GameSave Manager v4.0.
While I was hoping for a more complete release around Christmas, we still have something for you guys and gals you mess about with.
Before we start, please be aware that this is a Prototype release.
It's going to be buggy, missing features and be next to pointless to use in it's present state. Most of you will likely not care for this, while a select few may wish to see what we've been doing while we've been away from the Forums.

Some screenshots for your viewing pleasure:
Log Viewer
Main Menu - Update Checks
Scanning System

Some notes before we begin.
  1. As previously mentioned, it's far from complete.
  2. While the 'Standard Backup' feature looks nearly complete, it isn't - It will not make a backup!
  3. There is no UI implemented to display to the user while a 'Backup Task' is performed - It will look like nothing is happening.
  4. You can abort a scan or 'Backup Task' at any time, simply by clicking the 'X' (close) button for the application's Window
  5. While it can check for Program Updates, it cannot yet download and install them! (can apply database updates, however)
  6. Run the program with '/dev' commandline for access to the 'Developer Backend' (for making your own translation packs)
  7. You'll likely be notified of a missing font, you can safely proceed without said font or go download and install it yourself.

With all of that in mind, you can download the current prototype by following this link (~1.2 MB).
We very much welcome feedback, which can be submitted in the comments below.

We have no set time-frame for when a complete release will be made, nor will be set such a date until we're much closer to the end of development. We'd prefer to take our time and make this the best GameSave Manager version yet!

-----

Progress report; v4.0.009.0 Prototype

It's been a while since we last spoke about GameSave Manager v4.x
This is primarily to do with some health issues I had, which made it impossible to do anything (nevermind concentrate on coding). After I recovered, myself and Gekz found it difficult to get back into the swing of things.

Well anyway, I've been slowly developing v4.x on and off. Not a fantastic amount has changed since our last News Article, well not that you'd really notice.
The main focus was trying to get some UAC compatibility going on. To address this, we're now using a Windows Service to do stuff that requires elevated permissions (such as file associations).

Due to the Windows Service being implemented, we've also added a 'setup' system (install and uninstall). This will also help with the many users who contact us, not understanding on what to do with the archive they download.
I know some of you liked the portability of v3.x, so this'll likely be a little annoying. We'll look into a way of implementing some sort of 'portable' launcher in the future for you. For now, we'll focus on the installer branch.

Pending until a new build is ready for feedback.
Anyway, the most recent version (v4.0.009.0 Prototype) can be downloaded from here.

Enjoy,
Matt & Gekz

PostPosted: Fri 08th Aug 2014, 8:14 AM 

Switching from LUA to C# is awesome ;) I am a Software Devolper for some years now and my main Programming Language is C# and i must say, this is the fastest langauge for Windows.
Have fun with WPF ;)
Ah and please use app.manifest for the windows UAC
Greetings

PostPosted: Sat 09th Aug 2014, 1:02 AM 
Site Admin

BenZkun wrote:
Ah and please use app.manifest for the windows UAC
Greetings

That's a definite requirement :P

I think a draft of what is good / bad about gsm should be thrown up and then make a priority list to resolve some of these issues within the new environment. e.g. Compatibility with different system languages and UAC annoyances which I have seen tons of people complain about.

PostPosted: Mon 11th Aug 2014, 6:41 PM 

Wow! This is awesome news! Great move, Mett and Gekz - I wish you and other developers luck in your progression. =)
Just want to ask you about priority? What feature and ability you concentrate on? From now on what I have seen - you are working on faster scanning and translation-pack-support. What will be next?
Does GSM 4.0 will have a principle new brand-features which GSM 3 do not have?
What about entries-insert screen? I mean screen where users put their own entries for the game - does it work now or feature in progress?
Maybe you can post more screens for users, just for curiosity?
And one more question - what about database updating? Are you going to update database for GSM 3.0 or you will temporarily freeze updating for old version of GSM and will concentrate on new build (and make database update for this on after release)?
Thanks and sorry for my awful english - trying my best, but it fails anyway.

PostPosted: Tue 12th Aug 2014, 12:47 PM 
Site Admin

Don't worry, your English is much better then mine :D

Best way to describe GSM4 would be, GSM3 without all the hassle and annoyances, If Matt manages to get that far with his learning.

With regards to databases, the current one in GSM3 is the one used in GSM4 so I suspect that if there was any changes that there would only be additions added so that GSM3 can still be updated. Everything is still on the table and at this stage anything is possible.

PostPosted: Tue 12th Aug 2014, 2:57 PM 

Quote:
Best way to describe GSM4 would be, GSM3 without all the hassle and annoyances

I like yours way of meaning =)
So, good luck in your further - community will be waiting.

P.S. I totally noob in coding question and do not know which syntactic is better, but from what I can see - design and style of GSM 4.0 is better than GSM 3 even on beta stage, IMHO.
Still waiting for more screenshots.

PostPosted: Sat 16th Aug 2014, 4:06 PM 
Nightly / Debug Tester

A welcomed post guys - Yessssss. Superb news can't wait to see how thing develop. This Program has got to be one my most used apps, essential to gamers.

Good work guys happy to help if I can in any way

PostPosted: Wed 20th Aug 2014, 5:17 AM 

Hey people,

Awesome decision on an awesome piece of software. I was wondering if you have considered moving to an open sourcing code base as well. C# has an enormous developer base and a lot of us users/developers might be interested in helping out.

PostPosted: Wed 20th Aug 2014, 3:45 PM 
Site Admin

jpoul wrote:
Hey people,

Awesome decision on an awesome piece of software. I was wondering if you have considered moving to an open sourcing code base as well. C# has an enormous developer base and a lot of us users/developers might be interested in helping out.

Which license would you suggest that people can contribute yet will also prevent people from just out right stealing the hardwork of others and creating there own?

It's all good an nice to have a master project that Matt can have full control over on what can and cannot be implemented but there is still various problems that can arise. Razer, AMD, Nvidia etc can just leach off the project and tweak it to there liking.

What would be more beneficial would be a sort of "Closed source" situation where everyone involved in the project can help each other out, learn new things etc and then when the time is right and when Matt feels comfortable with the way its heading go open source in whatever of the various licenses he deems necessary.

There is nothing at this stage stopping people getting involved. I'm sure Matt wouldn't mind the help if anyone with more experience can chime in and obviously have recognition for the help they gave.

I am most likely talking nonsense, so treat this all with food for thought.

PostPosted: Thu 21st Aug 2014, 4:37 AM 

Github has a handy little website expressly for those who aren't sure how to license their software.

http://choosealicense.com/

It sounds like you want a strong copyleft license like the GPL. There are variations, but the important piece is that any derivatives works also have to be open source and GPL licensed. This would allow anybody to contribute and prevent Razer / Nvidia / whoever from taking the source, closing it, and distributing it as their own product (that they could sell).

Also note that most licenses, not just the GPL, require proper attribution in distribution. This is why you'll see a lot of software (even games) have an open source acknowledgements page.

Before deciding, it's probably worth examining the benefits of open sourcing GSM and your concerns.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 84 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9  Next