Dynamic Steam Cloud path not detected

Post by rala »

I'm setting up Foundation which has files at

Code: Select all

C:\Users\[user]\Documents\Polymorph Games\Foundation\Save Game
and cloud games _(since one of the last updates)_ at

Code: Select all

C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\userdata\[id]\690830\remote\Foundation\Save Game
If I use the steam cloud variable and enter the suffix no path is detected - neither if I just enter the game id nor leave it blank.
As you see in the path above it is the default install path.

I'm now using the steam installation path variable - which works.
InsaneMatt
Site Admin

Re: Dynamic Steam Cloud path not detected

Post by InsaneMatt »

Just to confirm, you're using the %STEAM_CLOUD% variable and appending 690830 to it and it is not being detected?
Are you entering the correct file mask(s)? Is 'Rescurse sub directories' enabled?
Cadex

Post by Cadex »

I am having the same issue. The %STEAM_CLOUD% variable shows the correct path when displayed, but it never detects the files that are contained there. Maybe it isn't able to fill in the [steam_id] correctly? The Steam Cache and Steam Installation directories seem to work OK, and those do not have the [steam_id] subdirectory.

I was previously using GameSave Manager frequently without this problem on my old PC. I'm not sure if it's because I moved to a new PC (from Win7 to Win10) or it's a problem with the newer version of GameSave Manager or even the Steam client.
InsaneMatt
Site Admin

Post by InsaneMatt »

Have you disabled Steam detection?
To check, launch GameSave Manager and click the Program Settings option from the Main Menu. Next, select 'Detection Configuration' from the Categories panel on the left of the window.
Confirm that the 'Enable Steam Support' and 'Include Steam Cloud directories' options are both ticked.

Alternatively, have you performed a full scan lately?
You can manually trigger one by clicking the Rescan button on the 'Make a Backup' option of the Main Menu. The scan may take several minutes to complete.
Cadex

Post by Cadex »

Yes, the "Enable Steam Support" and "Include Steam Cloud directories" options are both ticked. If you don't mind me asking, what is the program doing to detect my Steam ID?

FWIW, I have hardly changed any default options - mainly just the Backup Settings (setting a default Backup Directory, and 3 archives per game). Also, nothing is ticked under "Ignored Entries/Steam Cloud & Steam User Cache".

Yes, I have performed a full scan (several times). That was probably the first thing I tried.

Further info:
"Make a backup": for games that have both a Steam Cloud directory and another directory (e.g. some files under "My Documents"), only the other directory is listed as a sub-item in the tree, and only that other directory is backed up.

"Custom Gamesave Entries": if I try to add a custom entry for one of the affected games, and "Edit" the Steam Cloud location, the directory path displayed is correct. However, when I "Test" the detection, it does not find any files, even though the files do exist.
InsaneMatt
Site Admin

Post by InsaneMatt »

Cadex wrote: 16 Sep 2019, 16:27 Yes, the "Enable Steam Support" and "Include Steam Cloud directories" options are both ticked. If you don't mind me asking, what is the program doing to detect my Steam ID?
GameSave Manager detects your Steam installation directory, appends the 'Steam Cloud' folder structure and then queries that directory for a list of folders.
Each folder it finds is treated as a potential UserId and thus each is looped through.

Would you be willing to try a 4.x Alpha build to see if this behaviour is replicated there too?
Could help determine if it's GameSave Manager or something specific to your situation.
If so, join us on Discord where you can test such releases, as well as us being able to communicate in a more "real time" format.
Cadex

Post by Cadex »

Sure. I downloaded the 4.x Alpha build from Discord and it seems to detect the files in my Steam Cloud directory correctly.

Thank you, this is a good workaround for now.