Not Detecting Moved Games

General chit chat regarding the GameSave Manager project, announcements and general feedback.
l_mcgregoruk

Not Detecting Moved Games

Post by l_mcgregoruk »

I recently used GameSave Manager to backup a bunch of game saves before moving some games from one hard drive to another.
I then moved a folder i:\GOG Games\ to L:\GOG Games. Doing a restore of ALL games(including Steam/GOG), restored the GOG saves to where they originally were. As in created a folder called i:\GOG Games and put a folder for each game that had a save within that, with ONLY the backed up save in it. So I thought OK, I'll just delete the "i:\GOG Games" folder and do a new backup, the new backup should find "L:\GOG Games" (along with my Steam games), and when I restore those saves, they should go to the correct folder. Except doing a new backup it doesn't find any of the games that are now in "L:\GOG Games" that were previously in "i:\GOG Games" So I'm thinking maybe it's remembering where they used to be, looking there and since there are no saves there anymore, ignoring those entries.
I tried going into the Settings and unticking "Save detection results for faster detection in future" in case that had something to do with it, but still didn't find them. So I uninstalled GameSave Manager, then downloaded "gs_mngr_v3.1.455.0.zip" and extracted it again, and it still doesn't find them, it only finds my Steam(I:\SteamLibrary\steamapps\common and L:\SteamLibrary\steamapps\common) and retail game saves.

I also since installed the GOG version of 1NSANE to "L:\GOG Games" and it doesn't detect that game either, it should find "L:\GOG Games\1NSANE\Player00.CHP"
InsaneMatt
Site Admin

Re: Not Detecting Moved Games

Post by InsaneMatt »

How exactly did you 'move' your game files?
The game's installation wizard creates registry keys and values, which is what GameSave Manager follows for many GOG-specific releases. If these registry values were untouched, GameSave Manager has no idea you've moved the game files.

For example, GameSave Manager is detecting 1NSANE's save location by using the registry key "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\GOG.com\GOG1NSANE\SAVEGAMEFOLDER" and the key's (default) value.
l_mcgregoruk

Re: Not Detecting Moved Games

Post by l_mcgregoruk »

Yeah I "moved" them by just cutting/pasting them. I did wonder if it was because it was looking at values in the Registry, which is why I installed the GOG version of 1NSANE(which had never been installed before), because I thought it would find that at least, since it hadn't previously been installed, but in my registry it doesn't have "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\GOG.com\GOG1NSANE\SAVEGAMEFOLDER" It has "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\GOG.com\Games\1207658658" (It was installed using the offline installer not Galaxy)
https://imgur.com/a/SuHTojM

Anyway I changed some of the registry entries for my other GOG games to point to L:\ instead of i:\ and GameSaveManager is finding them again.
I'll "fix" the rest tomorrow. Thanks.